As a result of the recent high rainfalls and subsequent flooding Melbourne Water is working with emergency services and other relevant agencies to review the impacts to our waterways and assets. 

For flood or storm emergency assistance, contact the VIC SES on 132 500 and for life threatening emergencies call 000. 

You can access current emergency information by calling the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226 or sign up to receive regular updates regarding flooding via the emergency.vic.gov.au website and app.

Use our land

We manage 33,000 hectares of land across Greater Melbourne for operational purposes. Some of this land can also be used for community projects that enhance liveability, or for individual or commercial use.

Depending on where, why and how long you’d like to use our land, you may need to enter into a lease or licence agreement with us. Learn more about how to apply.

What can I use land for?

Community projects

CEO of Hope City Mission community garden with Melbourne Water staff member
Hope City Mission community garden, built on land that Melbourne Water manages.

Our Space. Your Place is an initiative enabling local council and community organisations to turn our land into spaces that everyone can enjoy. Big or small, short- or long-term, we’re interested in a variety of projects that support health and wellbeing. These include:

  • community festivals and pop-up events
  • playgrounds and parks
  • community vegetable gardens and native plantings
  • artwork/murals.

To find a place for your project and submit an expression of interest, use our online map .

Filming, photography and events

We accept a range of short-term use land use requests, including filming and photography, as well as:

  • school groups
  • weddings
  • fun runs, trail walks and cycling events
  • other promotional events.

Other compatible uses

We may also consider other requests that don’t impact our own use of our land, such as:

  • small sheds, passive recreation or access to your backyard
  • short-term access in order to work on your property (for example, if you need to move materials or build a pool)
  • commercial and long-term leases of up to 5 years.

Submit your application online.

Utility installation and maintenance

Organisations wishing to access our land to maintain or install utilities (including telecommunications service providers, power and water companies, VicRoads and local councils), should complete the relevant application:

Fees and conditions

All leases and licences require the tenant (you or your organisation) to hold public liability insurance to the value of $20 million. You may also need approval from other authorities, like your local council, depending on how you intend to use our land.

Fees include:

  • One-off administrative fee to prepare your agreement. For community projects and short-term use, this is payable once your application is approved; for compatible uses, long-term and commercial agreements, this is included in the online application fee.
  • Annual rental fee for all agreements. Any agreement over the annual rental value of $10,000 is subject to assessment by the Valuer General, in line with the Victorian Government Land Transactions Policy and Guidelines.
  • Legal costs may also apply, depending on the complexity of your agreement.

All land use is subject to our public safety, security and operational requirements. Your lease or licence may also include additional conditions designed to uphold government policy and statutory requirements, and balance your needs with our responsibility as land manager.

Contact us

For support with your application, contact the Property Leases and Licences team. They can help you:

  • identify if Melbourne Water owns the land
  • confirm the land is suitable for your intended use
  • understand the process for entering into a lease or licence agreement.

 [email protected]

 131 722 (ask for the Property Leases and Licences team)

Response timeframes

Our timeframes for responding to your initial application are outlined below.

In addition to this, you’ll need to allow at least one month to finalise your agreement, though timeframes vary depending on the complexity of your request.

Proposed use Timeframe (initial response)
Community projects 10 business days
Filming, photography and events 10 business days
Compatible use, long-term and commercial agreements 4 weeks
Last updated:
2 September 2021