Experience the Western Treatment Plant and discover the historical and environmental importance of this fascinating site, through our guided tours and virtual excursions.
Bookings for 2022
Virtual excursions and webinars
Bring the Western Treatment Plant straight to your classroom with these free interactive sessions, featuring our Western Treatment Plant virtual tour. We offer:
- Virtual excursions (45-60 minutes), for upper primary and secondary students
Aligned to the urban water cycle (Years 3 and 4) and geography (Years 7 and 8) syllabus, including activities and lesson plans for pre- or post-excursion.
- Webinars (1.5-2 hours), for VCE and tertiary students
Features a real-world case study suited to VCE Environmental Science/Outdoor and Environmental Studies, and education and STEM-related tertiary courses.
Both formats include:
- an experienced Melbourne Water educator to lead the group
- guided navigation through the virtual tour
- a presentation on the key stages of the sewage treatment process, world-renowned wetlands, and the site’s biodiversity and heritage values
- question and answer time.
Please note: at this stage, these sessions are reserved for schools and universities in the Greater Melbourne region.
Submit a booking enquiry for your preferred format below:
Guided small group tours
Tours of the Western Treatment Plant are available to VCE, secondary and tertiary students.
Groups must supply a bus for the tour and ensure the bus company has an appropriate public liability insurance policy ($10 million minimum).
Submit your booking enquiry below:
Costs vary depending on group and session type. Prices are quoted per person and are GST inclusive. Cancellations with less than 5 business days’ notice incur a $60 fee.
For school groups visiting the Western Treatment Plant, each educational activity costs an additional $4.00 per student.
|Group type||Max. group size||Length||Cost||Min. booking fee|
|Years 3-9||90||1 hr||From $4.00||$190 |
|Years 10-12||90||2 hrs||$8.00||$190|
|TAFE, tertiary and community||30||1-2 hrs||$8.00-$12.00 (depending on length of tour)||$225|
|Virtual excursion/webinar||300||1-2 hrs||Free||N/A|
Prepare for your visit
Before your visit, read the following information and complete our venue and safety form before you arrive.
All tours will be cancelled on days of very poor or hazardous air quality.
We are committed to the safety of all visitors to our sites. When visiting our tour sites, we ask that you strictly follow these safety rules at all times:
- wear closed-toe, flat-soled shoes – sandals and thongs are not permitted on site
- wear long pants/trousers
- stay with your tour guide at all times
- while on tour do not climb on or over railings
- do not touch any machinery or equipment
- do not run.
The Western Treatment Plant treats sewage, which contains many micro-organisms including bacteria, viruses and parasites. When visiting the plant:
- avoid contact with sewage and sewage-related products wash your hands before leaving the plant or eating
- do not eat or drink during the tour
- wash any contaminated clothing separately to your normal washing
- cover any open wounds, and report any minor cuts or abrasions that occur while onsite to Melbourne Water
- wear appropriate clothing for all weather conditions as activities are conducted outdoors.
Student supervision and discipline is the school’s responsibility, and teachers and adults accompanying school groups should actively supervise students at all times.
We reserve the right to cancel a booked tour and ask individuals or groups to leave the site immediately if any action or behaviour is unsafe.
- Venue and safety form
Download and return a signed copy of the relevant form when you arrive for your tour: