As a result of the recent high rainfalls and subsequent flooding Melbourne Water is working with emergency services and other relevant agencies to review the impacts to our waterways and assets. 

For flood or storm emergency assistance, contact the VIC SES on 132 500 and for life threatening emergencies call 000. 

You can access current emergency information by calling the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226 or sign up to receive regular updates regarding flooding via the emergency.vic.gov.au website and app.

If councils are seeking to discontinue use of a laneway as a road and convert it to private ownership they must apply for our consent.

​Application process

Documents required

Applicants need to supply plans as part of the application.

Approval process

We will consider the location of our assets and access via easements and assess the proposed road discontinuance or land. If assets would be affected an easement will be required.


We are currently receiving a high volume of applications due to growth in demand for our services, which has unfortunately created significant delays. We acknowledge your patience and will make every effort to process your applications as soon as we can. View our current processing times.


There is no fee for this service.

Contact us

If you need any help to complete this application, contact us on 131 722.

Last updated:
21 September 2021