As a result of the recent high rainfalls and subsequent flooding Melbourne Water is working with emergency services and other relevant agencies to review the impacts to our waterways and assets. 

For flood or storm emergency assistance, contact the VIC SES on 132 500 and for life threatening emergencies call 000. 

You can access current emergency information by calling the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226 or sign up to receive regular updates regarding flooding via the emergency.vic.gov.au website and app.

Maintenance agreements

If you’re constructing works required to be jointly maintained by council and us, you may need to develop a maintenance agreement and have it endorsed by us and/or Council as outlined in your Works Offer.

What you need to do

Begin working on your maintenance plan and schedules as early as possible, as negotiating an agreement can often take longer than you’d expect.

Decide who the asset will be transferred to

In most cases, the asset will be transferred to either us or Council, depending on the catchment size. Assets with less than 60 hectare catchments are transferred to Council (where an agreement exists). All other drainage assets are transferred to us to own and maintain.

In some cases, there will be a joint transfer of the asset to us and Council. This typically occurs where there is a wetland or retarding basin reserve. In these situations, Council is responsible for assets that will be used by the public (such as  benches, barbeques and playgrounds), while we will be responsible for the water bodies, hydraulic structures, and any aquatic and ephemeral plantings.

If the asset is being transferred to Council, try to involve a council representative during the construction stage to help facilitate the transfer process.

Achieve in-principle agreement prior to construction

Council and us require an in-principle agreement delineating maintenance responsibilities before construction starts.

Complete the maintenance agreement

Although maintenance agreements vary slightly between projects and councils, we have provided a standard template to be used for all agreements.

We recommend having the weed priority list reviewed by the maintenance contractor. As a guideline, primary weeds are weeds prevalent on site and the immediate area, while secondary weeds are in the local area.

Send the maintenance agreement to us

Once you’ve completed the maintenance agreement, email it to the Developer Project works team in Word format for review.

After reviewing the maintenance agreement, we will send it to the relevant council (where the asset is being transferred to council) for review and endorsement.

Contact us

Last updated:
25 September 2017