As a result of the recent high rainfalls and subsequent flooding Melbourne Water is working with emergency services and other relevant agencies to review the impacts to our waterways and assets. 

For flood or storm emergency assistance, contact the VIC SES on 132 500 and for life threatening emergencies call 000. 

You can access current emergency information by calling the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226 or sign up to receive regular updates regarding flooding via the emergency.vic.gov.au website and app.

Flooding information and advice

Plan ahead: understand the impacts of potential flooding on your plans to buy, sell, build, renovate or develop property.

Large cities like Melbourne will always experience some type of flooding it’s an inevitable part of our weather cycle. In addition to maintaining Melbourne’s drainage system, we aim to minimise the impact of flooding by setting building and renovation criteria, providing flooding advice and updating flood information for the greater Melbourne area.

Find out what to do when you:

  • Build and renovate: make sure your proposed plans meet our flooding criteria
  • Buy and sell: flooding information for buyers and sellers
  • Plan and develop: access the latest flood information updates and amendments

Need help? We can provide advice on how to design and build when land is subject to flooding. This free service takes up to 28 days  apply now.

Build and renovate a property

If your land is subject to flooding, your council won’t issue you a planning permit unless your plans meet our criteria for flooding and we consent to your proposed work.

If your property is subject to flooding, you may also be asked to get a flood level statement (velocity) for the purposes of the Building Code of Australia (Building in Flood Hazard Area). This service is free and takes 14 days.

Buy and sell a property

Flood level certificate

If you’re buying a property, you can request a flood level certificate to check any potential flooding.

Our flood level certificate service costs $48.63 and takes 14 days. The LANDATA and Dye & Durham services cost approximately $50 and can take 10 days.

Use our flood level certificate service – apply now

Property information statement

If you’re selling a property, you may need to provide a detailed property information statement for a section 32 or vendor statement.

LANDATA and your water retailer can help you with a property information statement. We do not provide this service. 

The LANDATA service costs around $50 and can take 10 days. Costs and times vary for each water retailer.

Plan and develop

We constantly collect and update new flood information for the wider Melbourne area. This information is displayed as amendments on council scheme maps.

You may need to get a flood level statement (velocity) for the purposes of the Building Code of Australia (Building in Flood Hazard Area). This service is free and takes 14 days.

Last updated:
24 June 2022