As a result of the recent high rainfalls and subsequent flooding Melbourne Water is working with emergency services and other relevant agencies to review the impacts to our waterways and assets. 

For flood or storm emergency assistance, contact the VIC SES on 132 500 and for life threatening emergencies call 000. 

You can access current emergency information by calling the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226 or sign up to receive regular updates regarding flooding via the emergency.vic.gov.au website and app.

Customer service

Melbourne Water employee talks to a group of customers on a jetty at Patterson Lakes

How can we make your life easier today? Browse through the following options to self-serve or request assistance. If you have a moment, let us know about your experience with us.

Woman wearing googles, laughing

Customer information

We provide services to a diverse range of customers, including retail water businesses, councils, developers and residents of special waterway development districts.

View service charters, guidelines and other customer resources.


View resources

Report an issue

Request maintenance, such as grass-cutting, or report litter near your local river.


Frequently asked questions

Find answers to our most commonly received enquiries: from issues with your water or property, to building and work approvals, birdwatching and tours, job opportunities and more. 

Water issues and connections 

I have issues with my water quality

If something’s wrong with your water, contact your local water company.

It’s normal for your water’s colour, taste and smell to change throughout the year. This can be due to its temperature, where it comes from or the demand for water in your area. For more information, view our how we test water quality

Who do I pay to connect or disconnect my water supply?

Contact your local water company with questions about water connections or paying your water bill.

What does the Waterways and Drainage Charge pay for?

The Waterways and drainage charge pays for drainage, flood protection and flood warning systems, as well as programs to protect and improve river health. Details on all these activities are reported in our annual Waterways Local Updates. The exact amount of the charge depends on your property type and location, but is usually $50 to $100 a year.

How do I get recycled water?

Generally, recycled water is only available near our sewage treatment plants in Werribee and Bangholme. To find out if your area has recycled water, contact your local water company.

What water restrictions are in place? Who do I report water wasters to?

Permanent water saving rules have been in place across Victoria since 1 December 2012. Additionally, the Target 155 voluntary water efficiency program was reintroduced in 2016 to remind Melburnians to use water responsibly. If you see someone wasting water, contact your local water company.

Why haven’t water storage levels gone up after rain?

Any increase in storage levels greatly depends on the moisture of the soil in our forested water supply catchments. The soil acts like a sponge: the drier it is the more rain it absorbs, so less water flows into our reservoirs.

In summer and autumn the soil is dry, and rare summer rains only moisten it briefly before it dries again in the heat. However, winter and spring have days and weeks of continuous rain. This keeps the soil wet enough for water to run off, and is when the largest water storage increases happen.

View all common enquiries


Weed control at Banyule


Contact us

Get in touch today — call, use our online form or connect with us on social media.


Find out how

Pay online

Got an invoice? Need to pay a fee, contribution, permit, licence or Clearwater event?

Find an office or site

Get details and directions for our offices and visitor locations, including the Western Treatment Plant.