Melbourne Water is re-lining the Church Street stormwater drain in Hawthorn. This work will ensure the drain continues to operate safely.
Late last year community was notified of the Church Street Stormwater Rehabilitation work to commence in April 2022, due to some unforeseen delays with machinery we were unable to start as planned. Contractors Aqua Metro Services on behalf of Melbourne Water will now start works in November 2022.
About the project
Melbourne Water is re-lining a section of the Church Street stormwater drain between Church Street and College Street, Hawthorn. The drain will be accessed through manholes along Church Street, College Street and Smart Street Reserve. As we conduct work you'll notice machinery set up around manholes, this machinery helps feed a new lining called GeoKrete into the existing stormwater drain.
Works will involve:
- Relining the section of drain under Smart Street Reserve between Church Street and College Street, Hawthorn
- Creating a new Melbourne Water stormwater manhole in Smart Street Reserve near the College Street entrance
- Upgrading the Melbourne Water stormwater manhole located near Church Street
- Patching some sections of the drain along Church Street from Smart Street Reserve to Barkers Road, Hawthorn
- Patching sections of the drain between Smart Street Reserve and Spencer Street, Hawthorn
- Majority of works will take place from manholes located within the Smart Street Reserve, Hawthorn.
Please refer to the location map for further information.
What to expect
Contractors Aqua Metro Services will complete this project on behalf of Melbourne Water. While every effort is made to minimise disruption to community, during works you may notice:
- Increased vehicle movements in and out of Smart Street Reserve
- Pathway diversions within Smart Street Reserve
- Partial road closures along Smart Street and College Street
- Removal of some small plants near the Church Street end of Smart Street Reserve
- Temporary closure of the closure of the Smart Street Playgrounds for the duration of works
Melbourne Water understands the value of trees and plants to communities and will work with Council to reinstate the area.
In the coming weeks we’ll letter drop and door knock residents and businesses to let them know about the
upcoming works. We’re still in the planning stages for this project and will continue to provide updates to the community as information becomes available.